Monday, August 15, 2011

UNDERWATER SCULPTURES BY JASON de CAIRES TAYLOR

I had heard about this artist from a friend some years ago and forgot to ever look it up. Since starting this blog his name came up again, and after seeing what I was missing, I was blown away! I'm logical and of sound-mind, and know that these sculptures are not human so they feel nothing. But seeing them you almost feel sorry for them. At the same time they look like they are at peace being under 12 - 16 feet of under water off the coast of Mexico and West Indies. All alone, watching the fish swim by, sharks brushing up against them. It's almost as if they were frozen in time, like a weird episode of the Twilight Zone or Han Solo in Empire Strikes Back. To be a certified diver and come upon one of these sculptures has to be an amazing sight. To know that you are one of the lucky few to ever see it, and will ever see it right in front of you. 
In a world where we're used to seeing plants, crabs, tropical fish, starfish, and sharks we now have human-like sculptures playing together. I mean we have fish sculptures and art in our world. I think in some strange way Jason has found a way to let the underworld know that not all humans are bad people.

2 comments:

  1. Pretty rad, Dave. I love that you're writing this blog. Looking forward to many more interesting things to come...

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW - I'm in the process of getting scuba certified. Let's go check these out in person!

    ReplyDelete